Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Children's classes: Parents' views from the bench

About five years ago, I decided to enroll my five year old son in The Aikido academy after visiting several local dojos. Our family had just relocated to Spartanburg, and my son was having a difficult time adjusting. The Aikido Academy gave him the confidence that he needed to adjust to our new surroundings, as well as self-defense skills that will last him a lifetime. Classes are very well structured, with numerous instructors that cannot be matched by any martial arts academies in the area. Sensei Wyndham is second to none in teaching approach, with kids, young adults and adult curriculum. My son has advanced six belts since he started, and had to work very hard to achieve success in Aikido. I firmly believe that this hard work and achievement will translate to the same success in life skills. If you are considering taking martial arts, I would invite anyone to visit all local academies, and then visit the Aikido Academy. The difference is remarkable, whether the training is for a child, young adult, or adult. — Bruce Wykoff